BCA Executive Director
The Biocommunications Association, formerly the Biological Photographic Association, is a non-profit educational/scientific international association of photographers and media professionals in medicine and the life sciences. BCA is looking to fill the position of Executive Director. The successful candidate will work with the Executive Board and Directors in addressing the day-to-day functions of the association. This person would provide ongoing counsel to ensure the BCA is functioning according to its mission statement and goals as well as helping secure its future function as an organization.
In addition to the mandatory office skills, this position requires the ability to communicate effectively, have a general understanding of how non-profits function, and have an aptitude for anticipating the needs of the organization. This is a contract position (renewable annually) with compensation commensurate with experience. Knowledge of BPA/BCA association programs, its history, and the major players in this volunteer association is highly desirable.
- General administrative management; accounting/financial management
- Proficiency in writing, editing
- Experience in meeting/event planning and support
- Familiarity with non-profit organizations
- Experience with computers and the Internet and all social media
- Aptitude for learning
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain efficient and complete (digital) files of all Association records.
- Monitor the BCA email account daily and handle all inquiries by direct reply or expeditious routing to the proper individual.
- Receive other communications/correspondence relative to committees/functions and respond to and/or refer to appropriate authority.
- Assist with compiling articles and information for the on-line BCA NEWS.
- Arrange for and prepare the annual online election process for officers.
- Assist with Association printing needs including promotional materials, programs, name badges, tickets, signage, etc. for conferences, professional education, and other programs.
- Provide general clerical assistance to the Executive Board and Directors as needed.
- Coordinate meeting arrangements for the interim meeting of the Executive Board.
- Assist the Certification Committee in accepting/routing applications and preparing certificates.
- Provide ongoing counsel to the Executive Board and the Directors including interpretation of the status of all programs of the Association and initiation of actions or recommendations as may be appropriate.
- Maintain the general ledger of the Association and all income/expense records.
- Report monthly, all income/expense to the Secretary/Treasurer.
- Maintain Association checkbook and work with Investment Manager (UBS) where needed.
- Provide year-end financial reports.
- Provide year-end Central Office report.
- Email renewal invoices and notices to Active, Retired, and Student members.
- Correspond with Emeritus members for yearly updates of database information (address changes and email updates).
- Receive, collect, and record all income from membership dues and application fees.
- Prepare reports documenting such action and distribute to the Executive Board.
- File all forms/returns as required by the Internal Revenue Service (Form 990).
- Provide IRS 1099 miscellaneous income forms to those receiving compensation for personal services to BCA in excess of $600.
- Ensure that 501(c)3 non-profit status is verified and maintained.
- Pursue Requests for Proposals (RFP) from hotels interested in hosting the Association’s annual meeting- BIOCOMM.
- Coordinate all hotel and catering, and possibly transportation needs for BIOCOMM, and make all arrangements necessary for invited speakers.
- Under the direction of the Director of Conferences, handle on-site registration at BIOCOMM.
- Coordinate registration activities; handling interactions with the conference venue sales staff and caterers.
- Assist the Honors Committee in accepting/routing applications and the preparation of award certificates (Schmidt, Creer, BioImages, Presidential awards) and Schmidt pin.
- Distribute by email, Minutes of meetings of the Association as prepared by the Secretary/Treasurer.
- Maintain current and complete membership files, including historical records and appropriate membership demographics.
- Receive and process new member applications, change-of-address status requests, and reinstatements.
- Issue notices of new memberships to the Executive Board and to the Director of Communications for publication in the BCA NEWS.
- Expeditiously respond to inquiries from members and others regarding membership in the Association.
- Prepare a report of membership for the previous calendar year for the Executive Board.
- Update the membership database on the BCA web site as needed.
- Work with the BCA web master for changes needed for other components of the web site.
- Correspond with membership as directed by the Executive Board.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resume and references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Executive Director Search